The Average Freelancing Rate Worldwide is $19/hour.
Average rates for technical/design freelancing roles are similar and range from $18 — $25.
- IT Support — $18/hour
- Web Programming — $21/hour
- Graphic Design — $17/hour
- Web Design — $21/hour
- Database Programming — $21/hour
- Game Programming — $24/hour
- Developer — $23/hour
- QA Testing — $18/hour
- Mobile Programming — $22/hour
Gender Equality does not exist in Freelancing
Payoneer reports that women earn just 80% of what men do across all fields of freelancing. The gap is most severe within IT & Programming roles where women make just 76% of what men do:
- Average hourly rate for all in IT & Programming — $20
- Average hourly rate for women in IT & Programming — $16
- Average hourly rate for men in IT & Programming— $21
Freelancing is booming
Most freelancers are earning well above the average hourly salary in most of the countries that were surveyed. This, paired with the freedom and flexibility freelancing offers, are just some of the reasons why the freelancing market is booming! If you have time, you can read the full Payoneer Freelancer Survey here.
Want to Start Freelancing?
Interested in becoming a freelancer? There are a number of ways to get started. One of the most popular freelancing websites is Upwork. You can sign up, create an account, and start looking for clients.